Fire Up Your Core in 6 Minutes
As a personal trainer, the most common exercise question I get asked is, “What can I do to strengthen my core?” This is a great question because the term “core” is often used interchangeably with “abs” even though the two are quite different. Your core includes your abs, your glutes (butt), lower back muscles, and your hips. Your abs, well, they’re just your abs.
Training your core will give you stronger abs, but it will also improve your posture, alleviate low back pain, help you avoid various injuries, and can improve your athletic performance. So let the core training begin!
This first workout includes three simple exercises and will take less than five minutes to complete one circuit. If you’re feeling ambitious, try doing the entire routine a second time through.
- Exercise #1: Skyscrapers — 10 per side
- Exercise #2: Windshield Wipers — 10 per side
- Exercise #3: Army Crawls — 36 steps
Day two’s workout includes four challenging moves that can be completed in five minutes or less. Again, try a second round of this core circuit if you want an extra challenge.
- Exercise #1: Breakdancer — 15 per side
- Exercise #2: Skydiver — Hold for 30 seconds
- Exercise #3: Dead Bug — 10 reps
- Exercise #4: Thread the Needle — 10 per side
Now it’s time for Day 3, our elite core workout!
This workout consists of four super-tough core exercises that are performed in a quick, six-minute circuit that will test every inch of your core strength.
- Exercise #1: Crab kicks into Superman — 6 per side
- Exercise #2: Star leg raise — 10 per side
- Exercise #3: Side V-ups — 10 per side
- Exercise #4: Over/unders — 10 per side